Saturday, October 25, 2008

Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican

When I was 15yrs old my mom bought a movie called the Scarlet and the Black. Over the years I fell in love with this movie and was so addicted to it, that I would watch it at least once a 5 times a month or more. The Scarlet and the Black is a TV movie based on the book by J.P. Gallagher called 'The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican'. The book and movie tell the life of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, an irish priest who is credited with saving over 6,500 POWs, Jews, and other people during WWII and the Nazi occupation of Rome. Through a network that he created with his contacts in Rome, this good Irish Priest stowed away Jews in the German College next to Nazi headquarters, The Vatican, Monasteries, Convents, Churches, and even civilian homes that were willing to hide the Jews and POWs and running the risk of being caught and killed for doing so. I am writing my Final Paper in my Holocaust on this very man and his inspiring story, I highly recommend everyone to check out his story, buy the book, and watch the movie!

Pax Tecum!

No comments: