Sunday, July 23, 2006

Who will be saved?

Recently I was talking with my best friend who tried to convince me that only about 144,000 people will be saved. I asked how he got that number and he tried to give me examples of prophecy from the bible. But to no avail, nowhere does it say in the bible that only a certain number of people will be saved. I asked him if Gods chosen people would be saved and he said most would go to hell, a few would be saved though. As a Catholic, I was wondering if he thinks that I am damned to hell forever. What do you think? Do you believe that only a select few will be saved and the rest will be damned?

2 comments:

Michael said...

Thank you Horicon for your post, I agree with you except I believe that there will be few people in heaven, but many people in both Hell and Purgatory. Hopefully more in purgatory and not in hell.

Matthew said...

There is certainly NOT a set number like the Jehovah's witnesses will have us believe. But, I remember the Lord's words that the road is narrow and the number is few. I think it's a large part because of heresy. Even today, there are many great people that fall into believing people like Martin Luther, who was just one heretic.

We just have to remain in the Church, regularly receive the Sacraments, and remain in grace.